Friday, February 4, 2011

How to Clean Your Microwave, Take 1.

Great cleaning tip popped up on our Google Reader today: How to Clean a Microwave. I don’t know about you, but it’s always so awkward for me to clean the inside of the microwave because mine is up higher (I’d imagine this would be an issue with one down low as well). Here’s what How to Clean Anything has to say:

“Cleaning your microwave is as simple as microwaving a cup of water for about five minutes. When it’s done, the inside should be nice and steamy, and wiping out the grime inside will be easier than trying to wipe off the hardened baked on food from multiple plates of leftover spaghetti with sauce incinerated to oblivion. 
I also sometimes add a slice of lemon (if I have any) to make the aroma more pleasant."

When I read this, I thought, “This sounds familiar.” Then I remembered it’s on our very own 43 Tips that Make Things Sparkle! It’s #22: To clean the interior of your microwave without using detergents, place a glass measuring cup inside filled with water. Turn on high for approximately 2 minutes. The steam will loosen any splatters. Depending on how soiled the interior is, you may need to repeat.

Five minutes, as suggested by HTCA, seems a bit overkill. Two to three should do it. When I zap water for my tea, it’s nearly boiling after 2 minutes. But every microwave’s power is different, so use your discretion.

Be careful, I advise you, when you go to remove the hot water out of the microwave. Here’s a slightly disturbing horror story about hot water blowing up when taken out of the microwave. This article actually provides the same cleaning tip as well… go figure! Must be a good one to stand by. I plan on testing it out tonight, so I’ll report back on its efficiency. Safe cleaning, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment